Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Amherst, New York. Home.

So here we are, home sweet home in Amherst New York. So far we really like it. We are floored by how much space we have in our little duplex, and amazed by the kindness we have received from our ward, neighbors etc. We are slowly putting our house together and making it a real home. We love the trees, the squirrels, the birds...it's all so different to us!

I wish I had a better picture of our little home, but this is the only one where I had Edison sitting still. It 's a great little 3 bedroom duplex, and I promise to get more pictures of it once we piece it together.


And of course Edison loves our backyard. The people before us put in the swing set and slide and even left this great little truck that Edison spends HOURS playing in. It's great for when I'm making dinner!


Here is Niagara Falls! About 20 min away from us on the New York side. Canada is just a walk away, and we plan to visit that soon.


Edison loved the "BIG water fall" as he called it. It really is a sight to see!



We found this great ice cream shop (love that the shop was a big ice cream cone) called "Perry's" with the most delicious ice cream. If you come to visit us, chances are we will take you here.

We live in a place where Buffalo's have wings.


This picture was taken on one of our "exploring" drives. All the houses are super classic Americana, which I love. I love even more that a lot of them put these fake candles in the windows! It creates this really nice, warm "home-y" look.
Our drive led us to more ice cream! We need to get our share of anything with the word "ice" in it before we start detesting the word. We found this great ice cream shop called "Uncle G's Ice Cream". To top it off there was even the Niagara Frontier Fiddle Band playing outside. It was too classic to pass up. I live for this kind of stuff.

We settled for the Fluffer Nutter ice cream Sundae. I have never had anything like this in my entire life. Marshmallow whip, peanut butter sauce, custard ice cream. Oh. my. goodness.
So, thus far we are having a great time (eating a lot of ice cream), and getting back to our American roots. We can't wait for all the adventures that await us! Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

We are so sad you are gone...but it looks beautiful there! I know you will have so much fun with you rlittle house. Seriously...3 bedrooms! Ahhh. Enjoy and keep posting, it is fun to read about!

Diana said...

How fun!!! You scored with the yard. How fun for Edison. Enjoy it while it's not all white! BTW, love the little napkin in Nate's pocket- like the hanky in a suit coat:)

leah said...

I don't think you guys will ever leave New York- you sound like you have found your dream home. I laughed about the fake candles- those were all over in PA too. So cool that you are close to Niagra Falls. You totally are making me want to move back to WA or the East Coast! I'm SO excited for you to be there! Many adventures coming your way! Oh, and you guys scored on the duplex- that's a big back yard and wow, you got a swingset and car for free?! Edison probably will never want to leave either...

KingFisher said...

This blog is amazing! We love seeing the pictures and reading your narrative!! You take just the right varity of pictures and you weave in the description just like you were writing a story about the event. It makes it so fun to read your blog!!
We can hardly wait to come out to visit you! It is sooo Americana!!
Love the ice cream adventures!!

Jen said...

April! It looks like such a great place to live. I'm so excited for you and your family and the adventures you're going to have! Oh, and I too love all the ice cream goodness you've found. Brian and I were drooling over it. :) Miss you!

Ms. Bananie said...

Fluffer Nutter Ice Cream??!! I honestly just got goosebumps! So glad to see that you're settling in to your new home. Enjoy all that NY goodness. (Just promise your next one will be a bit closer to ours.) ; D

jamie said...

your place looks cute! and so lucky to have such a spacious yard. i'm excited for you and your new adventure!

Jessica said...

Hurray! I am so glad things are going well! I have been thinking about you, and hoping that things are great. What a beautiful and spacious little house! The city looks charming! Wishing you guys the best!!!